It has very nearly been one full week since I left home to come to Grand Rapids. Classes will begin this coming Tuesday, but in the meantime, I have taken a good amount of time to get settled in and familiarize myself with the city and surrounding areas. My good friend, Ben (right), came for a visit since he was in the area and we had fun walking around downtown and taking pictures. We actually had an interesting experience with a guy who saw me taking some pictures. We weren't sure what to think about him at the time...well, now that I think about it, I still don't quite know what to think about him...
His name was Mike, and unfortunately I didn't ask to take his picture, though I thought about it. He stopped to ask about the camera, so I very carefully let him see some of the pictures I had taken. He then went on to talk to Ben and I for well over an hour about all sorts of stuff. I guess he was trying to witness to us, but some of the things he said struck us as odd and somewhat suspicious. Anyway, he did bring up some interesting points about turning the other cheek (do you see where this got a little weird?). He said something to the effect of, "If I were to come up to you and say, 'Hey, that is a nice camera. Give me that camera.' Would you turn the other cheek and let me have it?" Even though it was a sort of weird conversation, it got me thinking about why I wouldn't just give my camera away. The most obvious reasoning is that I need it for school. But is that "Christian" reasoning?
His name was Mike, and unfortunately I didn't ask to take his picture, though I thought about it. He stopped to ask about the camera, so I very carefully let him see some of the pictures I had taken. He then went on to talk to Ben and I for well over an hour about all sorts of stuff. I guess he was trying to witness to us, but some of the things he said struck us as odd and somewhat suspicious. Anyway, he did bring up some interesting points about turning the other cheek (do you see where this got a little weird?). He said something to the effect of, "If I were to come up to you and say, 'Hey, that is a nice camera. Give me that camera.' Would you turn the other cheek and let me have it?" Even though it was a sort of weird conversation, it got me thinking about why I wouldn't just give my camera away. The most obvious reasoning is that I need it for school. But is that "Christian" reasoning?
Didn't Jesus allow Judas to steal from the money bag (John 12:6)? Didn't Jesus let people beat Him and ridicule Him on His way to the cross? Isn't that an aspect of Christianity that we are meant to imitate? I think this is beautifully illustrated in the movie "Les Misérables".
That scene has always challenged me. It is very right and very good to do what the priest did, but can I do the same? I just pray for wisdom that if the situation arises, God would show me clearly what I am to do. People are always more important than things, but giving someone my camera so they can go buy drugs does not seem like the most loving thing I could do for that person.
I would love to hear any thoughts you have on the subject, so feel free to post a comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment